Monday, June 10, 2013

Past Two Weeks: From Intern Social to Mediterranean Food

Readers,

It all seems to have flew by. I had just been reminded today, that it has actually been 2 weeks since I updated this blog. I could say that I've been busy and haven't had time to write, but I think I got stuck in a.... routine! Yes, you read that write, Omar has a routine. After a hectic school semester and a hectic first weeks of summer, I got into the habit of the daily routine at work. I go to sleep no later than 11 pm and I wake up around 5am, pray, go back to sleep/lay in bed until about 7am when I start getting ready to head to work. I try to arrive at The Carter Center at about 8 am to allow myself to get situated before I start the work list. I have gotten in the routine to attend a soccer pick-up game 3-4 times a week on Tuesdays, Thursdays and either Saturday or Sunday. It's a good way to meet people, exercise and get out of the house. I haven't done much fun over the past 2 weeks. I went to a neighborhood festival on June 2nd which was nice but it rained and so the trip was cut short. I really enjoy the festivals; local artists and food vendors all come out to display their goods and it's generally a very happy atmosphere with live music and so you're somehow forced to have a good time. I've been trying to organize a get together after work every Friday for anyone who is willing to socialize and it had been pretty successful. I'm not into the "party" nor the drinking scene and so I try to avoid those kind of atmospheres. I've gotten a few compliments on my attire the past week and it was very pleasant. Having to wear "business casual" every day for the week gives someone the opportunity to expand and get creative, I guess.

This Wednesday we have the Intern retreat and that should be nice, followed by a potluck this Friday. I'm excited for the potluck because I'm going to try to display some of my Saudi/ME cuisine. I will update on that later. Honestly, it hasn't been too exciting and there isn't much I can say unfortunately. Since I am restricted as to what information I can share about my work, I can only share the information of the things outside of work and my general perception of the good Ol' south, and that till now is very limited. I can however, tell you all, that my cat, my lovely adorable cat, is really a challenge in Atlanta. The room is too small for her so I've been opening my room door and allowing her to explore our floor, which I guess has made her happier but as cats will always be, very sketched out. It's nice having her around for company though, even with the responsibility.

Active Oval - Piedmont Park
I do enjoy the neighbourhood I am in. The nearby CVS is a great convenience in my emergencies or when I need something quick. I have started cooking because they finally installed the kitchen on my floor and it is nice. I made pasta with red sauce and sausage the other night and it was very pleasant. I will continue to cook, the trick is to get small amounts of food and spices because of my short stay. Eggs will be my best friend, easy breakfast, lunch and dinner. I think that's all for now. I'm thinking of maybe driving somewhere near for a weekend trip or maybe within Atlanta. I still need to explore the city. One thing that has really pleased me in Piedmont Park and the area called "Midtown" in general. The park is beautiful, large and very very accommodating (it's where I play soccer most of my days). Near to the park I found a Halal Arab food place . It's not perfectly like home, but it does it pretty close with a Iraqi twist on the typical mediterranean favourites. The best part is that it's Halal and so I am guilt-free when consuming. I think that's all for now....

Cheers,
Omar 

No comments:

Post a Comment